Monday, April 14, 2014

In search of our other half


Para Español haz click AQUI

     Plato wrote: “According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs, and with a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.”

     Please scratch that. This story cannot be further from the truth.

     Don’t get me wrong. I respect and admire Plato, he was a very wise, talented, bright man; however, I don’t agree with him… and something tells me he didn’t believe in his own story… after all… IT’S JUST A STORY! It seems like nowadays every romance novel, every movie, and every Disney story is based on this story.

     But let’s pretend for a moment that this is true. Well, my argument to Mr. Disney would be: Sir, I don’t know where my other half is, and since I’m incomplete, since I’m only half of a person, it would only be fair that I only pay half to go into Disneyland.” I bet he would deny my request and I would have to pay full price. Because the truth is: we are already COMPLETE. We are already whole. We do not need anyone to complete us.

     Even though this type of love feels like the most amazing feeling in the world (while it lasts)… what happens when that person, when your “other half” is gone?

     Generations and generations have been blinded by such myth that has caused us so much pain and heartache. Most of my life I believed this to be true. I was very blessed to have found my other half. We were very much IN LOVE… and one day… he wasn’t there anymore…

     I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep. My mind was always thinking about what went wrong. What did I do wrong? I didn’t know what to do. I was in shock. I was depressed. I was lost. I was… INCOMPLETE. I thought that my life was over. I thought I was worthless without him. I just didn’t want to continue on living without him. Life didn’t make sense if I didn’t have my other half.There was no need to continue on living knowing that a part of me would be forever missing.

     If you’ve ever felt this way towards someone, (maybe not to that extent, or perhaps you felt worse, or maybe you’re going through this at the moment) let me tell you first of all that I feel you. I have felt your pain and I sympathize with you. Also, let me tell you that it’s OKAY to feel what you’re feeling (anger, sadness, despair, pain). Allow yourself to feel. If you need to cry, do so. If you need to stuff your face with chocolate, by all means. If you feel like having a drink, have it… do what you feel you need to do, and when you’re done, let the healing process begin.

     I can’t tell you that your heart will be mended in a week or a month… but I CAN ASSURE YOU that this too will pass. I can assure you that life gets SO MUCH BETTER when you realize that you have always been, and you will always be COMPLETE and you do not need someone to complete you. One day someone will be with you, not a part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment